Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A Time To Be Thankful

To every thing there is a season,
and a time to every purpose under heaven.
Ecclesiastes 3
By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually,
that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.
Hebrews 13:15

Although we are commanded to give thanks always, I believe it behooves us to have a day set apart for the especial purpose of the giving of thanks. Next Thursday is the traditional date here in the United States to commemorate the first Thanksgiving and to remember the faithfulness of God in our own lives. I have always loved Thanksgiving; I love the family traditions associated with it, the Currier & Ives dishes, the turkey slowly roasting, the homemade stuffing, drinking from goblets (our little people have brandy snifter "goblets"), homemade cranberry sauce, pumpkin pies from our own pumpkins, and the fire adding its woodsmoke scent to all of the other aromas associated with our feast. I am thankful to be able to add another set of Thanksgiving memories to the multitude of memories that I already have of this day. I have so much to be thankful for and even though I consider myself to be a thankful and content person already, I still appreciate a day set apart for the express purpose of being grateful for what I have.

We have taken our Thanksgiving books from the shelf and placed them in easy reach of small hands. Their world is alive with beautiful images and stories of God's provision for his people. One of my very favorites is Margaret Pumphrey's Stories of the Pilgrims , ours is the hardback edition published in 1912 (no revisionist history here), it is still available for under $20 and is worth every penny. In other family news, we went to Zoar on Saturday to take advantage of the 70+ degree weather where we enjoyed spending some time together hiking on the towpath trail. Zoar is so beautiful, it's one place where I'd actually consider living in town. The above picture was taken on the trail of the 8 oldest: Aleks, Katie, Levi, Micah, Tabitha, Rebekah, Elisabethe and Abigail. A certain small person, who shall remain nameless, wouldn't behave for the picture. :-)

However, Katie took this picture of Asa the day before. It really shows how cute his lopsided grin is. I love that face! :-)

5 comments :

  1. Thanks for this post.
    I, too, have some wonderful memories of Thanksgivings past.
    But, many not-yet-happened memories are on the horizon. And with my mother turning 80 on Nov. 24 (and being of sound mind), each Thanksgiving becomes even more special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful post!!
    I love that picture of all of the children. So sweet.:) Asa's little grin is so precious!

    Fondly,
    Brooke
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the Stories of the Pilgrims on my wishlist! Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays as well. Fantastic picture of all the kids! I hope you had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your children are simply lovely! I love seeing your daughters in beautiful clothing :)

    I am taking the Thanksgiving books of the shelves also and so enjoying it!

    Blessings,
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I’ve said it before, Paris, but your family is beautiful!

    I have probably asked this before, but have you ever seen the Duggar family? They have 18 children, and she is pregnant with number 19. They are a God-fearing, home-schooling, debt-free family. I am in awe of them. They dress very modestly, with the girls always in dresses. A very wonderful family and example to all, indeed.

    It looks as if you had a wonderful day. I have been absent in my blogging and blog visiting, and it is great to visit with you once again and to be uplifted by you.

    Blessings to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete