Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Growing Old Gracefully

     This post will not be a literary tour de force, it will instead be a stream of consciousness, quasi-coherent ramble on my thoughts about growing old. Go forth at your own risk.

     So, I'm 44 and youth has been heading South for a while now.  My hair has/had a blond streak in it and I was told it would be the first thing to go grey. Yes indeedy. Except I don't have grey hair, it's white and it's pretty uniformly turning that color. I used to color with a "wash out in 28 shampoos" jobby, but I hate the fakeness of it. I just think that at a certain age brown/blond/black hair that comes from a bottle looks silly. I don't want to be that person, but I hate feeling like the only one who is just letting the aging process go unimpeded. I tried some herbal stuff, Bulk Herb Store has a mix that they don't advertise as a hair color, but lots of people give reviews and say that it does lightly cover grey. It did absolutely nothing for me. So I got a henna mix from Mountain Rose Herbs and in one of my more brilliant moments decided that heck yeah, 10 days before my sons wedding is the PERFECT time to take that baby for a spin. Bep looked at my hair and said it was really pretty, but the grey is "an unfortunate shade of orange." I busted out laughing, I laughed until I cried. Apparently nobody has ever said anything as witty as that. Maybe it's hormones; who cares at this point.

     I do occasionally see women going naturally grey, I saw a gal recently in a parking lot and wanted to tell her how beautiful I thought her hair was. I got scared that she'd think I was some sort of psychotic lesbian though, so I didn't. I mean, look at this woman. Lovely, no?
    I know that I'm not the only one who struggles with this, so does this blogger. And the increased cancer risk worries me too, see this page for a start. I just hate feeling so out of step with everyone else. I guess maybe I thought that by the time it happened, I'd be ready for it.

    I'll try to muddle my way through this, but when the time comes for you to cross this bridge, I'll be here to support you. And pass you the henna.

9 comments :

  1. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/04/gray-hair-hot-reasons_n_6745104.html

    Gray is fashionable now. I have always been sort of fond of salt and pepper hair too. I'd like to think that when I go gray, I'll dye it but the reality is I probably won't. There's something about frizzy gray hair that just seems comforting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment and the link. So grey is fashionable? How amusing to think of myself as trendy. :D

      Delete
  2. I'm 66 and mostly gray. Never colored my hair and never will. I get a lot of compliments on it. Basically I never wanted to have to keep on coloring so I never started. And now, what do you know, I'm finally fashionable :) Nannie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nannie, I know what you mean about not wanting to have to keep it up, I'm SO lazy about that anyway. Thanks for taking a moment to comment, I find it very encouraging!

      Delete
    2. I used to color my hair about four times a year. I haven't in a long while. It's too long for me to do it well by myself and I hate the smell. I tried henna once, and had orange where I previously had grey, so a lot of it at my hair line around my face. I'm thinking of giving it another try. I'm not thrilled with my greying hair, mostly because it makes me feel old. And, people then think I am older than I am. Malinda

      Delete
    3. Malinda, I should have updated about the light brown henna mix that I used from Mountain Rose Herbs. When it dried it was a BEAUTIFUL shade of light blondish brown and looks really, really nice. I'm *so* pleased with it! Maybe give one of their mixes a try, they say it fades out in 6 weeks or so and you don't get that look of colored hair growing out, I like that aspect.

      Delete
  3. There is a henna blend, available from Amazon to cover grey. The base henna coats the hair then you use a darker henna over it. I recommend it and it will give you natural colored hair. And, best of all, if you do decide to go gray, it fades out and looks more natural than growing out standard dyed hair. (Have grown out both kinds now, so this is personal experience.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teri, thanks for that info. I'm pretty happy with the Mountain Rose stuff, it *does* fade gradually and I like that, but should I want to try something new then I'll look into what you recommended!

      Delete
  4. It's Light Mountain Natural Color The Gray! Hair Color.

    I've had an enjoyable day, browsing through your blog. You have a lovely family!

    ReplyDelete