Saturday, February 7, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom!

Today is my Mother's birthday; she was born on Saturday February 7, 1931. Since I've already written some things about her childhood, I thought I'd tell you about mine.
Here she is on the right with some friends in 1948
My Mom would make cookies for my entire grade school class with each child's name written on their cookie in frosting, the teacher too! She always made elaborate homemade Halloween costumes, I was Betsy Ross in 1976, a pumpkin in a great big crepe paper pumpkin suit, and a lady-in-waiting with a blue gown and lace overlay along with a tall pointy hat with ribbons flowing from it.

My Mom was the yard sale/rummage sale queen, we spent entire summers looking through sales and buying treasures. I think that must be where I came to love antiques and all things with a "past". She was very indulgent about this passion of mine. When I decided that I wanted to twirl baton she threw herself into that by making some of my outfits,taking me to practice, parades, and competitions. And when that wore off.......well, you get the idea. She was behind me 100% and always believed in me; I suppose that's where the self confidence springs from. She always said "even if you're a failure at everything else in your life, you can still be a good parent" and so I learned what the most important things really were, and one of my much quoted favorites "there's always money for what you want" and so I learned about the importance of priorities and goal setting. There's a lot of wisdom there from a lifetime of experience. I couldn't have asked for better. I love you Mom.

5 comments :

  1. How sweet, it made me blubber!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me about it! I only have their anniversary to get through and then I'm done for the year.
    ;-) But, you know what they say about not leaving things unsaid....

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's beautiful Paris. What a wonderful mother you have. Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the old pictures! What a sweet post! Happy Birthday to a great Mother!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, that last comment was from me. Somehow I got logged in as my husband! LOL!

    ReplyDelete