Monday, March 22, 2010

Asa is 6 months old!

Today marks the half year anniversary of the day that Asa joined our family! Time truly does fly by and it's hard to imagine what life was like without him. He's doing all sorts of "big boy" stuff like sitting up and laughing at his siblings but he still has no teeth, though he's been teething for ages. Katie took these pictures today whilst Daddy make Asa smile. :-)
I get such a warm feeling when I watch how all of the other children dote on him; every new thing he does is greeted by a crowd of smiling faces. I think it must be a very nice thing to be the youngest child in a big family. :-) I am blessed never to have known "sibling rivalry", I can't imagine the heartbreak of a family in which siblings are resented instead of cherished. I'm afraid that perhaps sometimes in trying to prepare a little one to be a big brother or sister that parents inadvertently introduce ideas of sibling rivalry. There are a plethora of books that go the "affirmation" route with dialogue that runs something like this:
Johnny: "I hate the new baby, can't we take her back to the hospital?"
Mom: "I know it's hard Johnny that you can't have Mommy all to yourself, I understand how you feel. Just you and I will go to the playground this afternoon once Daddy's home."
Read that book a few times and your own "Johnny" will have all sorts of ideas running through his mind that you might wish otherwise. Our new baby preparation goes more like this: I affirm that a new baby is a wonderful blessing and how great babies are, I talk about what a big help the child can be to me in caring for the baby and I talk about what God expects. That's pretty much it. I *never* affirm any sinful thoughts, I'll be blunt here, some thoughts just aren't okay. Hating a new baby that God says is a blessing is not acceptable. I know that parents mean it well, but if you affirm wrong feelings in a child then you can only expect an adult that thinks all of his wrong feelings are okay. That will quickly lead to a society of selfish grown ups that have never really grown up.

Happy 6 months birthday little man, we love you!

4 comments :

  1. Oh, what a precious little nugget he is! And he looks like he is loaded with personality...but then with so many siblings, he probably can't help it! What a blessing he is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures!
    I agree about the affirmation thing. I think my parents had similar ideas, because they always seemed to put their focus on the good thoughts/actions of my brother and me, encouraging more of the good in us rather than only pointing out and trying to deal with the bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too cute! He is just the bee's knees :-)

    Oh, and I loved your thoughts on approaching the new arrival of a wee brother or sister. Great! Wise words indeed and I must remember to think before affirming certain thoughts with my littles.

    Blessings,
    Sommer

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful, Paris, and how precious. And you, my dear, certainly do NOT look like the mother of nine! Blessings to you, and thank you for sharing your pictures. :0)

    ReplyDelete