Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Candied Ginger Blueberry Jam


We'll have a new culinary experience this winter when we finally get to eat the Candied Ginger Blueberry Jam that I made last week. I've never really liked blueberry jam, most recipes call for too much sugar for my taste, but since I tweaked this recipe extensively I think that I might actually enjoy it! Here's the recipe if you'd like to try it, this yields 7 half pints.

4 heaping cups smashed blueberries

2 cups sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

3/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Combine ingredients and allow to set for 1-2 hours
Add a heaping half cup of diced candied ginger

Heat slowly on stove until very hot but not boiling

Set aside and in a different kettle bring 1 cup sugar, 1 box sure-jell lite and 1 cup water to a brisk boil.

Add contents of sure-jell kettle to the blueberry kettle

Bring to a boil stirring constantly
Remove from heat and place in jars

Can in a boiling water bath canner for 15 minutes

I made 2 batches of this jam and then we canned the rest of the blueberries like I wrote about in the Canning 101 post. I think we got 11 quarts and 11 pints. We are also in the thick of canning peaches which came right on the tail of cherries. Aleks told me that the peppers are almost ready, they will become salsa and Cowboy Candy *and* we've got green beans coming! I think this is why most farm families (those who can anyway) really look forward to winter. :-) The pace is crazy all through summer and autumn, but oh is it worth it!
My one canning shelf still needs to be taken outside and scrubbed and then it's getting a fresh coat of paint. Until then there are jars of food completely filling 2 cupboards and much of the counter space. I feel rich!





4 comments :

  1. This sounds *awesome*!!! I would never have thought to combine ginger and blueberries but my mouth is watering thinking of it. We don't have a good source for blueberries at the moment, except the grocery store, which charges outrageous prices. : / I need to see if there are any pick-your-own farms around here that would perhaps be cheaper. I'd love to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That just sounds wonderful. I had a small garden this year but haven't canned anything. (NO time!) Your beautiful photos always inspires me to can stuff though, and get all "homey". :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. (This is JennyP -- blogger won't let me log in for some reason)

    Yummy. We're planting blueberry bushes in our front landscaping (too little space to just be decorative!) and I'll have to bookmark this!

    What's "cowboy candy"? I have an abundance of peppers that will be ready in the next couple weeks and am in need of ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah Jane, it is an odd combination but very tasty with a bit of a zing to it. I wouldn't want all of my blueberries to be spicy but it's a nice treat.

    Amy, I'm glad they're inspiring, and getting all homey is nice. :D I've been feeling like everybody is sick to death of canning posts, but life for me consists of very little else these days so boring canning posts it will be for another few months.

    Jenny, I know. I don't know what's with blogger but I can't log in as myself and on some blogs I can't comment at all, even anonymously. I wanted to say something to Robin's Roost about her canning but I couldn't. The Cowboy Candy recipe can be found here: http://pastoralsymphonyfarm.blogspot.com/2010/08/cowboy-candy.html
    I want to make 40ish jars this year because it's *so* good on so many things.

    ReplyDelete