Friday, January 29, 2010

Once Upon A Time

Once upon a time there was a woman named Cheryl Lindsey who was the editor of a magazine called Gentle Spirit. The magazine promoted homesteading/head covering/home birthing/home schooling/back to the land gardening etc and I enjoyed reading about their big family and their lifestyle. Well, to make a long story short, when the "truth" of the matter came out it was discovered that the family was falling apart and they no longer did many of the things that they wrote about. And the readership was outraged. They were incensed because somehow the Lindseys had deceived them, had disappointed them, didn't live up to the ideal that they had promoted.

I have enjoyed writing my blog, I like telling about our lifestyle, but I'm afraid that somewhere along the way the point has been lost that I'm a real person. I didn't wake up from a hundred years sleep, stumble into this life and decide to blog about it. I *do* have an antiquated life that I *have* chosen because I enjoy it, but I don't exist to serve the "lifestyle". Rather, the "lifestyle" exists to serve me. I have no intention of living in a living history museum and the minute that I don't love what I'm doing or another idea seems better, then I will drop this lifestyle and do something else. I'm not a slave to it. I don't have to (or want to) make sure that everything is period correct, I live in the 21st century. I want to take what I perceive as the best of the past and sculpt my own life from then and now.

I have posted nothing that isn't the truth, but just because I grind wheat to make bread doesn't mean that I always do. I (or somebody here) cooks the majority of our meals at home, but that doesn't mean that we never eat out. I like Chinese as a matter of fact. I do sew a lot of what we wear, but that doesn't mean that there aren't store bought clothes here. We have and use kerosene lamps, but not always. I have an automatic washer and an electric stove.

I admitted that I sent Mr. G out for a Mountain Dew (and drank it for breakfast no less) but let's keep it in perspective, It's a MOUNTAIN DEW for crying out loud, I didn't become a crack ho for a day.

I'm just a real person, living a real life, with real temptations and struggles. Don't deceive yourself by thinking that, somehow, I have all my ducks in a row more so than you do. Yes, you can probably learn something from me, just as I can and have learned things from you and your life. I love my life and I'm glad that you like to read about it, but I don't want it to turn into a prison sentence. I hope you can read this in the sense that I intend it (which is nicely and humbly) because I'm dismayed that my day yesterday provoked such disillusionment in some readers.

11 comments :

  1. Great post! I love your honesty, Paris :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What ever your life is or isn't, I enjoy reading your blog and love seeing the things you make. I know that blogs are just a snapshot of a person's life and so many just show the rosey side of things and I must constantly remind myself of this when I read blogs. Most are like a good book, they are an escape from our own lives and let us take a peek into another world if only for a few minutes.

    Thank you for sharing with all of us.
    Ps, man could I go for a Mt. Dew right now, but I don't do caffeine when I'm pregnant, so go enjoy another one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your blog is fantastic and may I say Thank you for your honestly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you Paris. If your readership had a skewed view of you, shame on them. It was time they woke up and realize that yes, you can and do do (dew ;) many things the "old fashion" way but you also are living in the world of today. I very much enjoyed reading about your day and none of it shocked me...surprise, surprise :) If you chose to not post this it's ok, I'll understand....just wanted to get my 2 cents in :) Your loving sister, Dawn
    P.S....please don't let your disillusioned readership cause you to stop posting, all of us back home enjoy reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the other comments love the blog and your REALITY. I love the combination of things that work from today and yesterday. Your detail of your day made me feel much better about my life and aspirations to incorporate so old fashioned, self sufficent ideas. It isn't all or nothing for us.

    Thank you.
    Cricket

    ReplyDelete
  6. You go girl! I don't know who amongst your readers was so disillusioned, but I certainly didn't pick up on that in the replies. Much of what you do and how you live I envy, some I disagree with, as I'm sure you do my lifestyle as well. You live a (partial) lifestyle that many of us wish we could, and perhaps we tend to get carried away with the idyllic romanticism of it all. As with Dawn, none of what you wrote shocked me. Reading about the things you make, the effort your family goes to to live a "pure" lifestyle, is inspiring. I don't ASpire to live the way you do, but it INspires me to do things I might not have.

    Go, enjoy another peanut butter/chocolate cookie (homemade no doubt) and a Dew (made from your own cow pee [cuz that's what it tastes like to me - LOL]). Seriously, your meld of old world and new world is amazing. Carry on!

    Love ya, Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paris, I posted my "day in the life" on my blog. You can post the link if you like. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was led through a link from a sewing blog that I frequent and I must say...Thank you!

    Your honesty is refreshing and it is so true. When we decide to live a simpler life, it is hard when people all of a sudden see us as if we must stick to everything to a "t". The life that you and your family has chosen to live, is your life ~ too bad that people don't understand.

    I enjoy your posts and your writings. I also enjoy seeing your sewing projects, they are quite inspiring.

    Blessings,

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paris,

    I admire your honesty. I think that in blog land, it is so easy for all of us to perceive our own realities (We see the world as we are not as it is-I can’t remember who said it but love the quote). Indeed, we are all real people with real foibles (there was only One who wasn’t). The important part is that we are all trying and all learning.

    Blessings to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. P.S.

    I thought of this before but forgot to post. There is a wonderful book—a manual really—entitled Country Living. This woman also wrote all about how to live a back-to-the-basics life. In the end, she was condemned by her readership because she traveled some to promote her book and was “no longer living the life”…in THEIR eyes. People are very cynical and quick to point fingers. How many of them actually lived her lifestyle? Probably fewer than one would think, but they were quick to judge when she was out trying to make some money to support the family instead of at home milking the cows.

    ReplyDelete