Friday, May 23, 2008

What a fascinating modern age we're living in

I guess we've finally entered the 21st century; at least in this aspect of our lives! We are a decidedly old-fashioned family in many ways. We live on a farm, have 8 homeschooled children, watch almost no television, eat organically, dress modestly and strive to give our children an idyllic childhood. A magical (in the best sense of that word), wonderfully innocent childhood. The kind in storybooks before they turned into trash like "Elmo Visits a Crack Den" and "Hanna Montana Does Rehab". In the introduction to "Ox-Cart Man" by Donald Hall (a children's book that meets my innocent/sweet standard) they say "Donald Hall has created a gentle story, evoking a quiet time in American life that is irrevocably past." I had to smile when I read that; that life is alive and well here. ;-) Life is very good and in some ways I wish that I could stop it right here. Katie is embroidering a sampler with the first verse of To The Virgins, To Make Much Of Time by Robert Herrick.

Gather ye rosebuds while ye may,

Old Time is still a-flying:

And this same flower that smiles to-day

To-morrow will be dying.

That's a cheerful thought, isn't it? No really, my point was that time goes *so* fast. The days are long but the years are short.

No comments :

Post a Comment