Saturday, October 25, 2008

A new dress and a clothing inventory

I finished Elisabethe Mercy's new dress today, she needed some new winter dresses and I wanted to complete them before the snow flies. This is the second time I've made coat sleeves in a dress and the second time they've come out too short! I even lengthened the pattern to avoid this, so I really don't understand what went wrong; it's not as though we have chimp arms in this family or something!
I put a waistband in though I prefer to construct little girl's dresses without one because they go together so much faster!

I gave her three growth tucks so hopefully she won't outgrow it before spring. The birthday dress that Rebekah got in the beginning of August is already on the short side. :-(
We have Amish friends whom I admire for many reasons, one of which is how diligent they are in taking care of their possessions. I don't consider our children careless but they certainly don't *cherish* every single thing that they own either. I made a clothing inventory for the girls so that every Saturday night they can make sure that they are able to account for their homemade clothing, otherwise things are liable to disappear. Mrs. R asked that I share it, so here it is albeit not in the beautiful font that I originally wrote it in.
Clothes Inventory for Little Grahams

~Tabitha’s yoked red print dress with sleeve caps
~Tabitha’s short sleeve light green print dress
~Tabitha’s blue pinafore
~Tabitha’s maroon pinafore
~Tabitha’s underpinnings
~Rebekah’s green print fan front dress
~Rebekah’s light green dotted print summer dress
~Rebekah’s red homespun dress
~Rebekah’s short sleeve blue print dress with shirred sleeves and soutache braid
~Rebekah’s tan pinafore
~Rebekah’s underpinnings
~Elisabethe’s brown print yoked dress
~Elisabethe’s blue homespun dress
~Elisabethe’s maroon print dress
~Elisabethe’s red pinafore
~Elisabethe’s underpinnings
~Abigail’s brown print dress
~Abigail’s yoked mint green print dress
~Abigail’s double pink fleur-de-lis dress
~Abigail’s blue pinafore
~Abigail’s underpinnings


We had Tabitha's birthday supper this evening and here is her dessert. I have saved this recipe for months in anticipation of this day!
The recipe is:
Pecan Pies in Pumpkin Shells
Hollow out 8 mini pumpkins and divide roughly 1 1/2 cup of pecans among them. Preheat oven to 350 and grease a cookie sheet. On the stove combine: 1/4 cup butter, 1 cup maple syrup, 4 large eggs, 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon vanilla or rum. When combined pour over pecans in shells about 2/3 full. Bake for 45 minutes or until filling is set. Bake the tops too. Very good!
A while ago Mrs. R did a "I've come to realize" post and I wanted to post mine.
1. I've come to realize that my family (husband and children) and I...... are best friends!
2. I've come to realize that I talk..... a lot
3. I've come to realize that I love...... my life!
4. I've come to realize that I have..... a lot to be thankful for
5. I've come to realize that I've lost..... my desire to go with the flow
6. I've come to realize that I hate..... being ashamed of myself
7. I've come to realize that marriage is...... hard work
8. I've come to realize that somewhere, someone is thinking..... I wish I could be happy
9. I've come to realize that I'll always have.....a reward for the services I do, nothing is unseen
10. I've come to realize that I don't...... have time to be in a funk!
11. I've come to realize that when I wake up in the morning..... I'm pretty cold ;-)
12. I've come to realize that before I go to sleep at night.....I need to pray for my family
13. I've come to realize that babies..... keep you young!
14. I've come to realize that today..... can never be retrieved
15. I've come to realize that I really want...... Mr. G to get a better job
16. I've come to realize that my true friends.....are very few but much loved
17. I've come to realize that my husband.....has been the perfect one to help me be more Christlike
18. I've come to realize that I need.......to get Mr G's trowsers cut out!

8 comments :

  1. What a beautiful little girl. I love the dress you made. Sigh.. I so look forward to having my own babies. :-) God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lauren, that's very kind! I love being a Mother and I know you will too!

    Paris

    ReplyDelete
  3. The print is fantastic! Such a lovely little dress and girl! The pumpkin shells look delicious and seasonal too. I think we are going to try out our squash pie tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabethe, is so adorable! I love her new dress so much. You did a great job!!

    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Lissa and Brooke! It's always nice to hear a compliment. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, I am trying this again! :) (Now the other comment that I left will probably come through :))

    The dress is beautiful! Great job as always.She looks so cute! (as always!) Don't you just love the age *4* !?

    Wow....looking at the clothing inventory was neat! Great job on getting all of that stuff made!! I want to start P a dress, pinafore, & underclothes tomorrow!

    The pumpkin/pecan pies are so neat!! What a neat thing for her party!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Mrs. G.,

    Your post on Nostalgia could not have expressed my feelings any better than I could have. Thank you so much for posting this, and how wonderful that you know a kin to this author. How wonderful, also, that you publish regularly--A dream I have also had.

    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for the kind words, I am happy that people enjoy reading about herbalism and a simple life. I'm glad too that the magazine is only put out quarterly, I'd hate for it to interfere with everyday life. Then it would come to be something that I'd dread instead of enjoy.

    Paris

    ReplyDelete