Monday, August 18, 2008

Fabric, fabric, fabric

Ah, the joys of finding period correct fabrics at really good prices! I'm one happy person today. We went to Zinck's looking for some good wool for little girl coats. They've usually got some really good deals, but not today. Instead, I found 8-10 period correct cottons for girls dresses, I narrowed my choice down to 2 and these are they:

The bottom brown is a Windham and the middle green is a Solebury, both were $2.99 a yard. The top is a plum that I got at Jo-Ann's a while ago.


Then, I found these! The top 2 are a 55% linen 45% cotton blend, they were $1.99 and $2.49 a yard. The bottom was listed as a "wool blend", the picture makes it look drab but it is really a bright fabric, plum and royal blue stripes on a tan background. It felt like a wool flannel but I only got a yard and a half to use for trim because it isn't 100% wool. Well, I got it home and did a burn test and there isn't any synthetic content at all! It might be a blend but if so then it's an all matural fiber blend! I'm so excited. Oh, it was $2.70 a yard!

3 comments :

  1. That bottom plaid? You got it at JoAnns? I made my apron out of it and its 100% cotton and was in the homespuns.

    ~Nona from the Sewing Academy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nona,
    No, I didn't buy it at Jo-Ann's, I got it at Zinck's. It is wool but perhaps a wool/some other natural fiber blend or maybe it is all wool, I'm not sure. It isn't a homespun, that is a pretty distinctive cotton weave, as I'm sure you know. This feels like a wool flannel and the burn test bears that out. I'm thrilled to have found it! I bet you know that feeling too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some gorgeously lovely fabrics! And what an equally lovely price. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete