Monday, October 4, 2010

Depressing post

I don't have an upbeat post today, it hasn't been an upbeat weekend so you must bear with this somewhat depressing missive. We went to a thrift store on Saturday in the Big City, it is further away but generally has a better selection of wool coats. I wanted to cannibalize an adult coat to make a little coat for Asa that coordinated with his knit cap that is finished but I didn't want to post about until I had the coat done. I couldn't find anything suitable though, so that was a wasted trip. Outside the door was a man begging for money for food, he said he was a diabetic and hadn't eaten in two days. I don't know about that, but I do know that he's asking and I believe that if you have something, then you have enough to share. Mr. G of course gave him some money. We don't see that sort of situation here in Little Town but we do in the city more and more often. I feel so sorry for the people that have given up hope. Where will they turn if no one can help them?

Mr. G has been underemployed for a long while and his hours keep getting cut, we now are making what he made in 1990 but with 11 people to support on it. It's very hard to say the least. Despite his degree he can't find a job in his field and he is basically applying for any type of work. We went today so he could apply at a pallet shop, they are hiring 5 people and paying $8.50 an hour. The man interviewed him on the spot and said he would stop taking applications when he had interviewed 100 men, he expected that to happen later today at the rate people were flocking in. 100 men in a day, all desperate enough to take a $8.50 job. The interviewer said an 80 year old man had come in needing work. It just breaks my heart, for us and for them. I am thankful that at least we have the ability to meet many of our own needs, we are shielded from a lot by our lifestyle.

10 comments :

  1. A wonderful post Paris.
    Although I don't post as much about current events as I used to, I will say that folks here in Michigan seem to have hit rock bottom.
    And I really don't see light at the end of the tunnel...I'm glad you and your family have learned to live a more conscious life. You are much admired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll most definitely keep you and your family in my prayers! My hubby has had those times before as well and it is always hard. May the Lord bless you with what you need.

    Lots of love,
    Sommer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paris,

    We are praying for your family.

    We find ourselves in similar circumstances but the one thing we haven't budged or budgeted on is our faith in the Creator God.

    Each day I see this scripture that is posted over my computer and it restores me in these troubled times.

    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

    Faith=hope.

    Blessings,
    Frank and Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you and your family. I hope things turn around soon.
    (((hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ken, Sommer, Frank and Pamela, and Tiff, I really appreciate it. I too hope things turn around for us, but I don't think the economy is going to improve any time soon. I'm trying to "batten down the hatches" and trust God to bless the effort and fill in the gaps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We can never see how God will provide, but He always does. Remember that scripture, I think it was written by Solomon, something like "I've been young, and I've been old, and I've never seen the children of the righteous begging for food." ? I'm sure I got something wrong with that quote, but when I read it the first time, it was very comforting.
    I've been praying for you. We've been in similar situations so many times, I do think it has increased our faith.
    As it stands now, we really are running 4 businesses, and though this is the most comfortable we've been since we married, there is always the knowledge/attitude/faith that "The Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord."

    ReplyDelete
  7. During the recession of the 1980's, we too struggled with no job and a family to feed. We lost our house and my husband eventually found a job making $5.50/hr. Through it all, the Lord gave me this verse which I want to pass on to you. Because eventually we did make it through just fine.
    Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
    Psalm 37:24

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ma and Mona, thank you for the prayers and encouraging words. I remember the 80s recession, my Dad lost his job and had a hard time getting another. He studied and got his GED then because he had joined the Navy in 1942 and never graduated.
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I am extremely sorry to hear of your family's situation. How very difficult this must be for you. You are in my prayers; please know this.

    I'm sure you are getting unsolicited advise from many, but...a couple of thoughts. Our school district here pays well. A janitor/maintenance man can make, depending on the level, from $15-$19 an hour. A secretary, who was just hired there, started out at around $15. I heard today of one worker at Costco, who makes $16 an hour. I don't know your city, but these may be possibilities for your husband...?

    ReplyDelete
  10. One more post. I have never been well off and still remain on the low end of middle income. I wish so badly to be able to stay home to save money through gardening, canning, sewing, recycling, and on and on, as I used to. For certain reasons, I cannot. At any rate, we pay tithing and have seen blessings because of it. We tithe 10% of our earnings, and the Lord has blessed us over the years. I have never had an abundance and don't know if I ever will. However, the Lord is faithful when we are, and I know that he has provided many times over the years.

    You probably already tithe, but for those of you that don't, it is a blessing from the Lord that I recommend.

    ReplyDelete