Thursday, October 28, 2010

Wassail Apples

Today we are canning Wassail Apples. This is a recipe that I came up with as a healthier alternative to Spiced Apple Rings which I like, but not the corn syrup content. They cause one problem (diluting the appley-ness by using water) and then "fix" the problem by adding lots of corn syrup. Yuck! My recipe is healthier and yummy besides.
Wassail Apples
*Bring to a boil 2 quarts of water, 1.5 cups white sugar, 1.5 cups brown sugar, 1 tablespoon cinnamon and a pinch of cloves (optional)
*Fill quart canning jars with apples (I like Empires) cut in eighths or twelths (apple rings waste space and so require more cider to fill the jars)
*Add cider to apples, leaving 1/2" head space
*Can for 30 minutes in a boiling water bath canner
These are a tasty compliment to ham or sausage and are delectable atop pancakes or waffles with whipped cream!

We are making pulled pork sandwiches for supper tonight and the whole house smells good. It's chilly today so the fire is going in the living room, adding the wood smoke smell to the sweet scent of the spiced apples and spicy smell of the pork. Mmm!

5 comments :

  1. So, I am guessing this is along the lines of traditional wassail?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken, yes it's along the lines of what we call wassail or mulled cider. True wassail was beer or grog based.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like some fixins i would enjoy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mrs. G.,
    I really like the sound of this recipe! So many "apple" recipes call for corn syrup or a lot of sugar...we have so many apples here in the fall...I think I'll give it a try! Thanks for sharing!
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura, I know, I don't use corn syrup either and believe me, you'll never miss it in this recipe!

    ReplyDelete